Do you have a permaculture-related event that you would like us to add to our calendar?
We’d love to hear about it! Click here to submit the details.
- This event has passed.
BIRDS AND THE BEES 101
2017-04-08 @ 09:00 - 2017-04-09 @ 16:30$300
An intensive 2-day workshop for those who want to learn how to keep chickens and bees. Learn how to put these two fabulous creatures to work on your property.
On Day 1, we will cover the basics of beekeeping, hive types (with a focus on Warre hives), how to get honey and so much more out of your bees. Locally hand-made warre hives will be available for purchase.
On Day 2, we will get into all things chicken! Types of chickens, legalities of keeping chickens, chicken care, how to build a “chicken tractor”… you name it!
This practical weekend workshop will be an intensive blend of class sessions where students will first learn the intrinsic nature of chickens and bees, and then how they can be applied within our properties. Practical hands-on activities will follow and apply class learning.
What you will learn:
- The ecology, biology and behaviour of bees
- The basics of becoming a bee keeper including hive construction, maintenance and harvesting
- What, where, how, and why chickens!
- How to build a chicken tractor and coop and use chickens on your urban or rural property
About the Food & Venue:
Get prepared for delicious, home made, “feel good” food. We will start the morning with coffee, tea and a delectable snack. After a morning of using your brain be prepared for a lunch to remember. With full stomachs and minds we will lastly offer you a selection of tea in the afternoon. Be nourished and inspired to learn all the more!
All of this incredible goodness will be offered to you from the St. Albert Grain Elevator Parks indoor classroom, which you will find below the renovated train station. Nearby you have gorgeous walking trails, a food forest to explore, and a site rich in history and character.
- 8:45-9am – Coffee/tea and Welcome
- 9am – 10:30am – 1st Class session
- 10:30am – 10:45am – 15 min Break with refreshments
- 10:45am – 12:15pm – 2nd Class session
- 12:15pm – 1:15pm – 60 min Lunch Break
- 1:15pm – 2:45pm – 3rd Class Session
- 2:45pm – 3:00pm – 15 min Break with refreshments
- 3:00pm – 4:30pm – 4th class Session
Calendar powered by The Events Calendar